Changing surname, going to Canada passport, not yet married

Wilfredo Manuel
is a trade marketing in the Philippines

Paano po ba ang paraan para magamit ng anak ko ang aking apelyido? Ang gamit nya po kasi ngyon eh yun sa nanay nya. Di pa po kase kami kasal ng asawa ko dati at ayaw pa sa akin ng magulang nya dati, pero ngayon ok na ang lahat. Kailangan po namin na maging ka apelyido ko anak ko para sa passport po namin mag pamilya pa Canada. Sana po ay matulungan nyo kami salamat

Translation: How can my son/daughter use my surname? He/she is currently using the surname of his/her mother. My wife and I were not yet married when our child was born, because my wife's parents did not favor me. But we are ok now. We need our son/daughter to have the same surname as mine, so that it can be seen in the passport, because our family is going to Canada.

Reply as anonymous (Your real name and picture will not be seen)
Adelaimar C Arias-Jose
is a Legal expert in the Philippines
As far as I can tell, you and your wife were both single and you have a child but you got married long after the child was born. Isang tanong lang – ikaw ba ay naka-lista sa birth certificate ng bata bilang ama?
Kasi, puede kang mag-file ng legitimation ng bata sa NSO. Ibig sabihin nito, mababago ang status ng anak mo from illegitimate to legitimate kasi, nagpakasal kayo ng kanyang ina. Mababago din ang pangalan niya.
Madali lang naman ang proceso basta’t kumpleto kayo sa dokumento – at walang sabit (walang ibang kasal na naka-tala sa NSO). Please inquire at the NSO main office at East Avenue. Or, go to the Office of the Civil Registrar in the place where the child was registered. You will need an authenticated copy of your marriage license.
Wilfredo Manuel
is a trade marketing in the Philippines
Una po ay salamat sa unang sagot nyo sa akin. Hindi po ako nakalagay sa birth cert. ng anak ko N/A lang po ang naka lagay ano ano pa po ba ang paraan? Salamat po ulit

About the author

Adelaimar C Arias-Jose

I am a graduate of the UP College of Law. Member of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines since 1995. I am currently involved in private practice in criminal, civil and labor law.
Profession: Lawyer
Adelaimar C. Arias-Jose
Office Address: #34 St. Michael Street
Philippines , Manila , Makati
The medical information contained in this section is not intended for treatment or prescription. It is used to complement, not replace, the communication between a patient and their physician. Reliance on any information provided by BuhayOFW or any medical experts is solely at your own risk. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or go to the hospital immediately. BuhayOFW's Medical Review Board is a team of board-certified doctors who ensure our content is medically accurate and reflects the latest in health information. Our experienced board of medical professionals verify that our content is thorough and all-inclusive, in order that you can trust the information you read here will help you through improvements in your health journey—whether that’s for yourself or for a loved one.

Disclaimer: The materials available in the Buhay OFW web site are for informational purposes and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Buhay OFW and the user or browser.

If you are a legal expert who would like to help answer questions, please register here.