My father went to the US 30 yrs ago, he abandoned us a few years after that

Rosario Alfonso
is in United States

My father went to the US 30 yrs ago, he abandoned us a few years after that. He did not communicate back or sent any child support. He is now a US citizen. We recently found out that he had been married in the US, divorced and now married again, to different women, a lot of times during this 30 years. We wondered how he was able to get married when his marriage to my mother is still valid and neither have filed for divorce or annullment. It turns out that when he entered the US, he did not declare that he is married and with kids. What case can we file against him? Where should we file it? USA or Philippines?

Reply as anonymous (Your real name and picture will not be seen)
Adelaimar C Arias-Jose
is a Legal expert in the Philippines
Naku, I cannot give you a definite answer to your question about what kind of case you can file against your father under US laws (hindi ako familiar sa laws ng US). At saka, it depends kung which state your father is in. Each state of the union has its own laws.
As for the question about what case you can file against your father, you can always file a case for Bigamy (if he really got married in the US). Kasi, ganito iyon, everything is evidentiary – it is a matter of evidence. First, you will have to prove na kasal talaga siya sa Mom mo – valid ang marriage nila. Tapos, ipu-prove ninyo na nagpa-kasal nga siya sa iba sa US. If you can have evidence of his marriages in the US, I suppose that your case in the Philippines will succeed.
Ang isa pang problema ay, kailangan andito sa Pilipinas ang father mo para the Philippine courts can have jurisdiction over his person. Kung wala siya dito, you will not be able to have the warrant of arrest from the Philippine court served in US jurisdiction – so, that is one practical limitation.

About the author

Adelaimar C Arias-Jose

I am a graduate of the UP College of Law. Member of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines since 1995. I am currently involved in private practice in criminal, civil and labor law.
Profession: Lawyer
Adelaimar C. Arias-Jose
Office Address: #34 St. Michael Street
Philippines , Manila , Makati
The medical information contained in this section is not intended for treatment or prescription. It is used to complement, not replace, the communication between a patient and their physician. Reliance on any information provided by BuhayOFW or any medical experts is solely at your own risk. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or go to the hospital immediately. BuhayOFW's Medical Review Board is a team of board-certified doctors who ensure our content is medically accurate and reflects the latest in health information. Our experienced board of medical professionals verify that our content is thorough and all-inclusive, in order that you can trust the information you read here will help you through improvements in your health journey—whether that’s for yourself or for a loved one.

Disclaimer: The materials available in the Buhay OFW web site are for informational purposes and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Buhay OFW and the user or browser.

If you are a legal expert who would like to help answer questions, please register here.