Withdrawal application fine fee, justify fight exorbitant fees

This person has chosen to hide his/her identity.

Paalis na sana ako papuntang abroad, dahil na kumpleto na po ang papeles ko papuntang Bahrain. Ngunit wala pa po akong tiket. Ako po ang nagprocess at nagbayad ng passport, at nagbago po ang isip ko na hindi na tumuloy dahil po sa personal na dahilan. Tama po ba na magbayad ako ng mahigit 60k sa agency na inaaplyan ko dahil nag withdraw po ako ng appication ko? Paano ko po mababawi ang passport sa agency dahil hawak nila ito, ng hindi magbabayad ng ganoon kalaki? Mayroon po ba akong laban sa ganitong pangyayari? Ano po ang pwede kong gawin?

Translation: I was supposed to leave for abroad, since I've completed requirements/ papers for working in Bahrain. Buy I still didn't have my airplane ticket. I processed and paid for my passport, but I changed my mind about working abroad because of personal reasons. Is it right for the employment agency to ask me to pay 60 thousand pesos because I withdrew my application? The employment agency is holding my passport. How can I get back my passport without having to pay such an exorbitant fee? Do I have justification/ reason in this case? What could I do?

Reply as anonymous (Your real name and picture will not be seen)
Adelaimar C Arias-Jose
is a Legal expert in the Philippines
If you were the one who paid for all the expenses in connection with your application for work abroad, then you can file a complaint with the POEA for the return of your passport.

I'm sure that the employer/agency will say that they have already incurred expenses in your behalf to procure you a job abroad. If you have already signed a contract of employment then you must see if the contract of employment mentions anything about paying penalties if you do not fulfill the contract.

Please consult a lawyer that you can trust and respect. Show the lawyer your documents so that he or she can evaluate what legal actions you can take to get your passport back.

(Hindi ba kaya mas mura kung magpa-affidavit of loss ka na lang sa passport mo? At mag-appy ka na lamang ng bago?)
Rafael P.
is in the Philippines
Hi atty. Ask ko lang po nag-apply po ako sa agency pakuwait nakapirma po ako ng contract pero nagback out po ako,sabi sa agency,antayin daw kung naprocess na yung papers ko,hindi ko na po binalikan mahigit 2 years na po yung passport ko sa agency. Mababawi ko po ba yun? Kung mag affidavit of loss na lang po ako pwede po ba yun?

Salamat po sa sagot.. ill leave my cell # po.

About the author

Adelaimar C Arias-Jose

I am a graduate of the UP College of Law. Member of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines since 1995. I am currently involved in private practice in criminal, civil and labor law.
Profession: Lawyer
Adelaimar C. Arias-Jose
Office Address: #34 St. Michael Street
Philippines , Manila , Makati
The medical information contained in this section is not intended for treatment or prescription. It is used to complement, not replace, the communication between a patient and their physician. Reliance on any information provided by BuhayOFW or any medical experts is solely at your own risk. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or go to the hospital immediately. BuhayOFW's Medical Review Board is a team of board-certified doctors who ensure our content is medically accurate and reflects the latest in health information. Our experienced board of medical professionals verify that our content is thorough and all-inclusive, in order that you can trust the information you read here will help you through improvements in your health journey—whether that’s for yourself or for a loved one.

Disclaimer: The materials available in the Buhay OFW web site are for informational purposes and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Buhay OFW and the user or browser.

If you are a legal expert who would like to help answer questions, please register here.